Traces of human activity are present on the territory since ancient times and probably since prehistory as the history of this town crosses the conquest of Gaul by the Romans and is inextricably linked to that of Rezé , then called Ratiatum , born of the new administrative structure , political and economic introduced by the Roman conquerors .
Under the domination of Pictones , it controls the trade and commerce on the banks of the Loire. Numerous fragments of amphorae discovered at the site provide information on the nature of the cargo : wines from Italy , Spain , Gaul (Languedoc, Cher valley ), but also oil from Betic ( southern Spain ) . For consumption on the premises , this trade also fuels probably within Gaul transiting through the Loire.
The discovery in the nineteenth century when a visible aqueduct along the Chemin des Bonnes Soeurs, the village Couëts , suggests the presence of a thermal building in this area.
Under the successive influences of the Carolingian princes and Breton , South Loire and in particular the region Bouguenais form their historical identity .
A time under the authority of Carolingian , south of the Loire runs through the middle of the ninth century under the control of the rulers of Britain. From this time the castle with fortifications still exist in part on the Common Bouguenais at a place called La Motte Bougon . The surrounding parish is called Bégonnais then Bouguenais .
In the tenth century , a family wins the title of Lord of Grump , and remained so until 1294, when the name appears in Chasteigner in the army of the Duke of Brittany , with Herlin Bougon seems to be the same person as Hubelin Chasteigner cited as lord of Bouguenais .
At the beginning of the eleventh century , when leprosy was rampant everywhere, Parish Bouguenais was a leper colony near a chapel dedicated to St. Madeleine disappeared today . It was located , according to Leon Master, historian of the nineteenth century , the field of Baronnais and was named The enclosed Maladrerie . The stream that ran a few steps away and the source feeding the fountain provided lepers water they needed . Around 1970 , he remained well a fountain in the wall near the road , career had drained the water table , drying up the source and fountain was destroyed during the remedial work on the Route Couëts .
Over the centuries , Bouguenais and its surroundings will experience varying degrees of success , consequences of struggles that will engage the kingdoms of France and England among themselves or with the Duchy of Brittany . Milestones can be traced back to the time of the Reformation.
The town has ample Bouguenais took his place , often dramatically , in the events of the French Revolution, the States General from 1789 to the Terror and the War of the Vendée . In 1789, the town of about 2800 inhabitants Bouguenais account . Most of the population is rural, though Port Marine Lavigne and some bourgeois exception . Nobility, few in number, is in the lordships of Grump , the Chaffault , Desert and some other secular lordships ( the Jaguère the Benâte the Huguetières … ) with little land . The clergy meanwhile is well represented , including Couëts convent and priory of Bouvre . 600 Bouguenaisiens live on the charity of the clergy , especially the Carmelites .
For all towns in the south of Lower Loire , Bouguenais is by far the one that paid the heaviest price for the civil war.
War 39/45 will also involve strongly the territory of the municipality with the aviation Grump Castle and ammunition German camp installed on the current Laboratory Highways field.
Already built in 1547 , then in 1590 a property Treasurer Receiver General of Taxes of Brittany Castle of the Desert (near Nantes) has thick walls nearly a meter , a slate roof , a bathroom and a living room separated by a corridor , a vaulted staircase, office and upstairs 3 bedrooms high , a lower chamber surmounted by a tiled attic, outbuildings, a well in the courtyard and moat . He defied the centuries, overcome wars, through the Revolution , survived 10 monarchs and many presidents.
In the end of the 16th century , the owners of Desert alongside the court of France including César , Duke of Vendôme , governor of Britain, legitimized son of Henry IV .
Family Valleton made its entry in the Desert in 1674 and remained there for 135 years. One participates alongside Colbert, the creation of the East India Company . In 1720 they built the chapel and the bread oven. In 1789, Françoise Julienne Valleton whose son, the king’s service , left France , owns an area of over 150 hectares. Mother emigrated , his goods are in receivership . Municipality Bouguenais helps him by providing a certificate of residence in 1792.
In 1802, it regulates the succession of his son and sold the castle to the Jacques Bougrenet Tocnaye . Thereof, fellow exile Chateaubriand, performed from 1793 a long journey on foot , lodging homestay across England , Scotland , Ireland and Scandinavia. He writes and publishes successfully his travel . He returned to France in 1802, became mayor of Bouguenais in 1816 until his death in 1823. It is to him that we owe the planting of redwood, camellias, magnolias and bald cypress that still adorn the park and the main courtyard.
Several owners succeed during the following century until redemption in 1934 by the family who will Rondineau , for over 60 years , growing vegetables sold at the market of Nantes, and operate the vineyards. The bombing of the last war have saved the castle : if a bomb partially blown part of the roof, another fell into the aisle has not exploded , had to be defused by a professional deminer found by Jean Hervé , patriarch of the village of blanks of the desert in the 2000s.
From 80 , the dependencies are broken up and sold to owners who turn them into principal residences .
Bought in 1996 by Layec family, the castle was completely renovated , returning to the initial proportions of the parts. The chamber plate with the arms of the family De Valleton – one topped by a crown is kept in the large fireplace heart .
The high dependence west , the walls were probably built in the eighteenth century , on the basis of a shed with big stone pillars still visible today , and whose roof collapsed in the 1980s , was converted into a comfortable and quiet lodgings gradually opened in the 2000s .
South dependencies are under reconstruction and development and Cedric Layec will propose additional 5 apartments, each with its own private terrace .